Thursday, September 11, 2014

spring, and sunflower seeds, and seeing change


Today I sat at the kitchen bench picking at a little pile of sunflower kernels I'd placed there to eat. Along came an eight year old who promptly sat beside me, exclaimed "I love these!" and he and I polished them off.
I actually did an internal leap for joy.
Remember my journey to clean eating post? 
I was actually feeling discouraged that week.
So often I regret the beginnings of motherhood where I was ill-informed, and introduced foods to my kiddos that I thought were good (ie. thinking that something was somewhat 'healthy' simply because I'd baked it at home, despite the sugar and white flour content) and sometimes I feel like I've 'ruined' them, and their taste buds, and their ability to make healthy choices. 
Today I was reminded that the slow, conscious effort I have been making for months on end are actually paying off. That these three fuss-pots are becoming more adventurous with foods, and we are eating cleaner than ever. 
Our diets are far from perfect. Hello McDonalds. But their lunch boxes, and the foods I keep at home now are free from additives, and full of nutrient rich simple real food. We are learning and we are still on a journey.
It's not how you start, it's the way you finish that counts. 

And it made me think about everything that is worth something. 
Health, and fitness. My marriage. Investing into my kids.
Sometimes it is just hard.
It's hard to get off the couch and get moving. 
It's hard to prioritise my marriage and put my husband before myself. 
It's hard to give selflessly, what feels like constantly.
But when you take those tiny slow steps towards that thing that you're wanting, or that thing that needs to change it actually starts to change

It's not going to without you doing something.
And continuing to do those little somethings along the way.

Repetition is key.
Keep going. 
Keep getting off the couch. 
Keep providing nutritious meals, packing lunch, cutting salads.*
Keep kissing your husband hello when he walks in the door.
Keep walking your kids to their classroom instead of leaving them at the gate. 

There is blessing in the faithful walk through the mundane. 
Spring is a new season of growth - what is sown in the hard, dark days will spring forth.
Keep going.
It will make a difference. I promise.

xx

*talking to myself here, so glad it's Friday tomorrow, if I had to pack one more lunchbox this week I think I'd fall in a heap!

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice to see rewards for hard work! I'm still at the beginning of a long struggle! While my little girl is a fruit bat and would eat fruit and veg all day every day… my boy… well. I don't even like to think about his food intake. Thank you for the reminder. The important thing is to keep on keeping on…
    And isn't the promise of spring wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask what you pack in your childrens lunch boxes? For a sandwich my 4yo only wants to eat Vegemite on wheat bread, ugh.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!