Wednesday, August 27, 2014

best scone recipes


Every now and then, especially during winter, my mum would whip up a batch of scones and we would devour them with strawberry jam and generous globs of cream. 
I remember when I was old enough to be allowed to rub the flour and the butter together with the tips of my fingers, and how proud I was when it became crumbly, and ready for the milk.
Following mum's tradition, scones are a fairly regular occurrence at our place, and are still yet to lose their appeal. There is not much that beats a homemade scone. 

The first, my never-fail lemonade quick scone recipe. I have been baking these for years. So quick and easy.
The second, a thermomix recipe I found today that makes super fluffy, light scones as quick as a wink. It's the first time I've used my thermie for scones and I was super happy with how they turned out!
Take your pick, and enjoy an afternoon tea in the last few days of winter sunshine like we did!

Quick Scones

3 cups self-raising flour
1 cup cream
1 cup lemonade
milk for brushing

1. Preheat oven to 220C. Grease or line your scone tray. Sift flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the cream and lemonade.
2. Using a bread and butter knife, mix quickly to a soft, sticky dough. Don't over-mix.
Knead lightly on a floured surface. Press it out to about 2cm thick.
3. Cut into rounds using a floured cutter. Place them close together on your tray. Brush the tops with milk, bake for 10-12 minutes until they sound hollow when tapped. 

Thermomix Scones

450-500g(ish) self-raising flour
2 tbsp sugar
200g cream
250g milk

Preheat oven to 200.
Put all ingredients in the thermomix and mix for 2 sec speed 5. Knead on interval speed until it comes together to form a (fairly sticky) dough (not long, 10 seconds-ish). As above, press out on a floured surface and cut rounds. Place them close together on your tray, brush tops with milk and bake 10-12 minutes or until risen and golden. 

My scone tips:

Handle the dough as little as possible. They'll loose their fluffiness if they're overhanded. 
Dip your cutter in flour. If you don't have a scone cutter, use a butter knife and make small squares instead, I did this for years before I finally got around to buying a round scone cutter. 
The oven has to be HOT, make sure it's preheated thoroughly or your scones will be a little bit undercooked on the inside. 
Jam, then cream. Or lashings of butter when they're straight from the oven.
Thermomix recipe found (and slightly adapted) from here

xx

8 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing, I'm very inconsistent with my scone outcomes so I'll be trying this one for sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you go, Mel, I'd love to hear feedback xx

      Delete
  2. oh we love a lemonade scone
    do you make date scones too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive never made date scones! They sound like something I would LOVE but my kids are fusspots, I rarely add any 'bits' into things I don't have to, or the noses are turned up and the food is refused!

      Delete
  3. Scones with jam and plenty of cream, yep, they're hard to beat. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They would HAVE to be my favourite too xx

      Delete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!