Friday, June 13, 2014

train the younger women. or, we can't do this alone.


"teach the older women to live in a way that honours God... they should teach others what is good... they must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good [to be self-controlled, good-natured (kindhearted)]"

One of the things I love about the church in general is that we are united by a common bond. Age doesn't factor in.
When I read these verses I am reminded, and surprised a little again, that some of my best friends and mentors are women who are closer to my mother's age than mine. 
But in our friendships, that has never mattered.

They were my wisdom when I whinged about Daniel, or collapsed in weariness over being up all night feeding unsettled babes; they reminded me of how fleeting these days are with little ones under my feet. They told me I could do it. They cuddled my babies and reminded me to speak in love to (and about) my husband. 

They have been in ministry. They have raised their babies, fed families, grown veggie gardens and made yoghurt from scratch and they teach me what they know.
Not formally, but in relationships that have grown organically. Its in these friendships they've earned my respect and adoration, that their words have weight, even in gentle rebuke.
I have watched them love their husbands and families and work in their homes, and learned, and imitated. And I'll still be learning. I'm watching the way they navigate their teenagers, and high school, and taking note of the boundaries they're putting in place. I'll continue to need them!

But now my little people are growing, and are not so much under my feet.
My nights are generally uninterrupted, and my days are free from wiping noses and bottoms, or feeding and dressing. 
So maybe it's my turn to give. 
To model a home that is full of grace. To show young mamas with their bleary sleep-deprived eyes, and teary hormonal days how to live amidst the crazy, beautiful mess, and live it well.

xx

I've been reading Titus, along with She Reads Truth and I'm linking over there to share these thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful and so true. I owe so much to the older women around me - thank you for making me stop and reflect on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed to read tonight. I've got a little baby girl who won't sleep, who only wants me and only wants to feed. Reading this and the rest of your blog makes me realise that this will only be for a short time. I'll blink and she'll be in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this #Shesharestruth community beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd somehow like to store in my brain what it is like to have little ones in the house so I can fully support and empathise when I get past it!! I find that many around me forget what it is really like...... Gods design is so perfect - we all need to support each other!!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!