Saturday, June 28, 2014

courage & vulnerability


My tulips lost their petals today.
I watched them all week. They moved from room to room, and I found different places I could admire their beauty from. 
While I admired them I thought about words from Brene Brown, and pondered this video.





If you've got 21 minutes to spare, grab a cup of tea and have a watch. 

It's about the good kind of vulnerability.
The kind I struggle to have, because I want to come across like I have it all together. 
I do. 
I want to seem like I have all the things, and all the friends and none of the insecurities that we all struggle with on a daily basis.
But the truth is that I don't have it all together, and I'm failed and flawed just like the rest of you, and because of this, I struggle to write and plaster said failures and flaws here.
But I believe we're created to have a voice.
And every time we post our thoughts, or our fears, or our admissions to our beautifully imperfect lives, we are courageous. 

“Courage is a heart word. The root of the word courage is cor - the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage meant "To speak one's mind by telling all one's heart." Over time, this definition has changed, and today, we typically associate courage with heroic and brave deeds. But in my opinion, this definition fails to recognize the inner strength and level of commitment required for us to actually speak honestly and openly about who we are and about our experiences -- good and bad. Speaking from our hearts is what I think of as "ordinary courage.”

And every time we are real, every time we are authentic and let others see who we are, we give them the freedom to be real too.

xx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, Em and so very true. The older I get the more I realize that being real and honest is much more freeing than keeping up appearances. It helps others way more too. Happy Sunday to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Getting older is definitely not a bad thing, and I love finding that old insecurities have fallen away! xxx

      Delete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!