Friday, June 20, 2014

begin with the end in mind


In his book The 7 Habits of highly Effective People, Stephen Covey's Habit 2 is 'Begin with the end in mind'.
He asks us to picture in our mind our own funeral, 3 years from now. Who would be there, what our closest friends, family and colleagues would say... and what we would want them to say about us. What would they say about the character that they had seen in us, what difference had we made to the lives of those around us?

I sat thinking about this for some time. And I wrote down some thoughts.
I would want those around me to have seen a kindness, and a selflessness. I would hope they would say I was a loyal friend, a devoted mother.
I would hope that they would say I was a positive influence. But more than that. 
A Christlike one. 
And so many other things.

Covey goes on to write:

"Begin today with the image, picture or paradigm of the end of your life as your frame of reference or the criterion by which everything else is examined"

So if I want people to say that I was a loyal friend, then I need to hold back the not-so-nice things I could say about them in a conversation heading in the wrong direction.
If I want to be recognised as a devoted mother and wife at the end of my life, then there are steps I need to take now.
To become a positive influence, a Christlike one, I need to be reaching out to those in my world.
"To begin with the end in mind means to start with a clear understanding of your destination. It means to know where you're going so that you better understand  where you are now and so that the steps you take are always in the right direction"

Wisdom for your Friday night? Word.

xx

* From Stephen R. Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!