Thursday, May 1, 2014

121/365 • sniffles & spiced almond milk


Our household has been touched by the sniffles. 
Thankfully not me yet (must be the green smoothies I have been drinking often), but I have been making sure I get enough sleep.
Not enough makes me sick. Every. time.
I've also been making sure we are all full of nourishing foods, and in-season fruits and vegetables. 
Joel spent last night sneezing and snuffling. 
By morning we had a bed full of kiddos, and no one slept the greatest. 
Tonight they are in bed early, with extra blankets.
The real change of season is upon us.

Yesterday I spent time with a favourite foodie friend who encouraged me to make my own almond milk. 
I soaked the nuts overnight, and this morning whizzed them into a beautiful, thick and creamy milk that I couldn't stop thinking about (and sipping on) throughout the day.

Tonight I heated it, added cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean paste, and a touch of turmeric, and frothed it until the top looked like marshmallows, sprinkled some cinnamon over the top and died and went to almond milk heaven.

Home made almond milk recipe from My Darling Lemon Thyme.

In the thermomix: 300ml almond milk, heated 70degrees/3-4 minutes/sp 4. Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, pinch tumeric. Blend 30 sec/sp 8
(change the spice amounts to suit your taste. serves 1)
This could easily be heated in a small pot over the stove, and frothed by hand or with fancy schmancy milk frother. 

Hot, thick, creamy spiced goodness.
The perfect autumn night treat.

xx

1 comment:

  1. Would you believe I've just sat down with a mug of warmed coconut cinnamon milk and wondered to myself how your foray into almond milk went? Hooray for homemade!
    Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!