Monday, April 28, 2014

118/365 • in my kitchen | minestrone soup



My cooking has begun to shift slowly to reflect our weather. 
Cool days, and cold afternoons mean I am veering away from salads and looking for a heartier, more soul-warming menu.
Soups never fail. Nourishing to the core, even their humble presence bubbling away on the stovetop is calming.
My minestrone is simple, and I use whatever I have on hand.

Here's how I made it today;

Cook a chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic into the bottom of your pot until soft. Add a tablespoon (or to taste) of tomato paste and stir with a wooden spoon. Add a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, and your veggies. Today I used two carrots, two stalks of celery, some sliced mushrooms, diced zucchini and half a tin of mixed beans rinsed well. 
(Red kidney beans or cannellini beans work too, or omit beans all together)
Pour in about a litre of water, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs if you have them on hand. 
Today I used a handful of oregano from the garden.
I also chopped a few rashers of bacon, and let it all bubble away until all the vegetables are tender. Add some pasta shells until they're cooked, and serve with a generous sprinkling of parmesan. 

Thankfully, the husband is partial to a good soup, and they are such an easy weeknight option that can be doubled and frozen, or reheated for a lazy Sunday lunch.
Have I mentioned autumn being my favourite?

xx



3 comments:

  1. Yum. Looks delish, Em:) I LOVE autumn too. Bestest time of year. I love the heartier cooking and soups are just the best. Enjoy this glorious time of year:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good pot of soup in autumn! We're getting through a big pot of lentil and pumpkin soup but minestrone will probably be next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum this is a Greta sounding recipe..thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!