Saturday, April 12, 2014

102/365 • authentic, imperfect

Belonging is the innate human desire to he part of something larger than us. Because this yearning is so primal, we often try to acquire it by fitting in and by seeking approval, which are not only hollow substitutes for belonging, but often barriers to it. Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.*
 
What a powerful statement.
I caught myself watching Eden today. She is sweet, and silly. But she can often be difficult, and highly strung. In my mind I realized I was ready to tell her to tone it down a little. A life lesson I though might help her build friendships. To do what she can to fit in.
How completely wrong this train of thought was. I caught it mid air, as I sucked in my breath sharp and wondered if this is a thought pattern I've held onto subconsciously all my life. If not my adult years, then definitely though high school. Without a doubt as a child.
Hoping for that sense of belonging, and trying to be everything to everyone.
Without realising that the most attractive souls are the ones who are just that. Themselves.

Xx
 
*Brené Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection

2 comments:

  1. Woah woah woah - em this is deep deep deep!!!!! Teading this physically caught my breath and oh it has struck a chord or here or something!!!!!!!!!!!!! To be told do be different than who you are (especially if repeated a lot) brings so much difficulty, pain, anguish and worry in the future. What a Holy Spirit moment to be brought to that awareness in the moment and the fact that you were in tune to listen and not speak. This is the first blog I've read in a while - and em I've missed it!!! This is going to play over in my mind for awhile. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts to think over. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!