Saturday, March 22, 2014

81/365 • keep trying new things

When I was little, I wanted to be a teacher.
When I got a little older I read the blurb on Ann M. Martin in the back of one of my Babysitters Club books, and wanted to be an English teacher and an author, just like her.
It changed slightly over the years; maybe I'd teach history, or maybe I'd be a journalist instead. A photographer. Always the author.
Mostly, I wanted to be a mother. There was no other drive as strong.
 
And now, living the mama-dream, I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up.
But I'm learning that you can't discover your dreams by waiting for something to fall in your lap.
 
So I write. I think in paragraphs and snippets of sentences.
I have always thought in past tense, as if writing the experience from the future.
I still play with different dreams in my mind and wonder where each choice would take me.
Because I think choice plays the biggest part.
We choose where we go, who we spend time with, what we immerse ourselves in, and how much time we dedicate to the hopes that we cling to.
 
Trying new things, discovering passions, and maybe being not-so-good to start with... it's a little bit awkward. The comfort zone is way behind in the distance and there's not much you can hide behind.
But we can pull our big girl panties up.
Because what if it's something that feels right? And what if it fits? And what if maybe you are a little bit good at that thing?!
And if you're not?
Try new things.
And keep trying them.
 
xx
 
Image via
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!