Wednesday, February 12, 2014

43/365 • Cambodia 2

We visited the Genocide Museum (Formerly S-21 under the Khmer Rouge) and the Killing Field of Choeung Ek. I don't even know how to articulate words to describe what I have seen.
I have sat here, blank screen in front of me numerous times today.
What to write?
That our perspective should shift? That we should be grateful for what we have, and where we were born, and thankful that we have not had to ever face the horror that the Cambodian nation has seen, only a short time ago?

I have photos that I am not ready to re-look at, images in my mind that I can't face, and utter sadness at our broken world that seems to make the same mistakes over and over.

Yet the Cambodian people (that I have met so far) are beautiful, kind-hearted souls that are determined to rebuild their nation.
They don't want their stories to be forgotten, and bravely hand them to the coming generation.
I am thankful to have walked this ground, explored this pain and gained more understanding of such a beautiful race of people.
There is power in testimony, beauty from ashes.
 
xx
 

1 comment:

  1. I understood exactly what you were saying Em. When we visited Soweto a few years ago, the impact and enormity of what had happened in South Africa was overwhelming. I was born there and we left during the Apartheid years, so going back brings many memories to the surface. In what capacity are you in Cambodia? A tourist, worker etc? I just wanted to leave a comment, letting you know I enjoy reading your posts. We are going back to South Africa later this year. I wish you the best for the remainder of your trip. Ann

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!