Tuesday, February 11, 2014

42/365 • heroes that bruise

 
Today I got a message from a friend, with a photo of our daughters singing their hearts out to Disney's Frozen, dressed in twirling princess dresses, and wearing tiaras.
After momentary homesickness, it was just what I needed.
Not only that, but knowing that my family are cared for and loved by the community we have built around them.
Another friend dropped a meal by on Saturday, knowing I was flying out the following day. To care for my family while I am gone.
Another friend offered a meal, another offered help for Daniel.
Two school mums told me to leave their numbers with him, in case he needed anything.
 
It does my soul good, knowing that they are surrounded by people who are willing and generous in their time, without expecting anything in return.
It takes a village. We can't do it alone.
 
I love this quote from a Jodi Piccolt novel.
“Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back.”

Sometimes we need rescuing.
And I am so thankful for the community of rescuers I belong to.

xx

PS Today was full of Tuk Tuk rides, shopping in the markets, and eating Khmer food. Cambodia has an amazing culture I am only just experiencing the surface of. Tomorrow to the museum and killing fields. I'm preparing myself for an emotional day.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!