Friday, February 7, 2014

38/365 • what you see, what you hear


Tonight I quietly celebrate our completed first week back at school.
After the lights were dimmed, Joel and I curled up to our new evening practice - my reading aloud C.S Lewis' The Magician's Nephew.
I have anticipated moments like these since he was tiny, and they do not disappoint.
He rests his head on my shoulder, sometimes biting his nail.
I read and the story comes to life. He interrupts by holding up a hand and waiting for the sentence to finish before asking urgent questions about the whereabouts of the Witch, or the possibility of Polly and Digory leaving Uncle Andrew in Narnia, before letting me go on.
I intend on just one chapter, but he begs for 'just one more' and our minds are enchanted with this new world.

And suddenly, sentences leap off the page and into my heart and I quickly mark the page to come back to later, to re-read.
Tonight was this:

"For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are"

Wow.
What right have I to judge a person? What right have you? Am I standing in their shoes? Have I been where they've been? Am seeing what they are seeing?
What sort of person am I? Do I assume the best in people? Am I grace-filled, and humble?

What sort of person are you? Does your mind automatically move to the negative?
What we see can be distorted if we're not seeing from the right perspective.

Oh Mr Lewis, you've got me thinkin'.

xx

PS - almost-frantic preparations have been taking place for my trip to Cambodia in two and a bit more sleeps. the pantry is covered in hopefully-helpful information for those I am relinquishing control to!

1 comment:

  1. I love The Magician's Nephew and can't wait to read it with my little ones. I've also been thinking a lot recently about 'where I'm standing' and you've written up my own chaotic thoughts so clearly!
    I hope you have a lovely and rewarding time in Cambodia!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!