Wednesday, January 29, 2014

29/365 • CS Lewis, and being brave



I've been chewing on this quote since I posted it on Instagram this morning. 
To grow, to change, to break through, we have to continually do what we know we should.
One day isn't going to do it.
A month isn't.
Continuity is key.
We build habits in our world when we are consistent. 

A dear friend and I had a conversation a couple of weeks ago.
"My new years resolution is to make my bed every day"
The simple power of her choice floored me.
We don't need extravagant resolutions, or a three page list.
We begin with that one thing. 
She began with that one thing. 
She bravely chose the thing that would be the catalyst for others. 
It will build change and continuity, and continuity brings growth.

continuity
ˌkɒntɪˈnjuːɪti/
noun
  1. 1.
    the unbroken and consistent existence or operation of something over time.
    synonyms:continuousness, uninterruptedness, flow, progression
    • a connection or line of development with no sharp breaks.


No sharp breaks in the control of my thoughts, no sharp breaks in exercise. Progression.

This year I want to be brave. So there must be progression in my efforts of bravery.


Fear is a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life.*

Not only a boring life, but rob others of the beauty we can potentially add to their lives.


The two things fear and faith have in common? 

They both believe in a future that hasn't happened yet.
I know which one I'd rather have.


May you always do what you are afraid to do. Be brave.



xx



* Donald Miller

1 comment:

  1. I love this Em. So real, so beautiful and so encouraging. I wanted to let you know that I found this so inspiring so I included it in my February Link Magazine full of my favourite reads for this month. I hope you get some lovely readers over here to be inspired too.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!