Thursday, January 16, 2014

16/365 • surrounded by books





We have been swimming every morning. The eldest two have lessons at 9:30, and afterwards we stay a little while for more swimming and playing.
Swimming is tiring business, and I try to keep our afternoons free, and at home.
They are usually still bather-clad by bath time, after doing whatever it is these three do to while away their afternoons and amuse themselves together.
This afternoon, however, cabin fever set in a little, and a must-do trip to the chemist ended with an afternoon at our local library.

I often ask Joel to read for me, and Eden too now, as she grasps the sounding out of words, and her brain works hard piecing the sounds together.
There is not much more that makes my heart explode with pride than hearing the slow, methodic rhythms of their words.
"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once"*

Amie crossed her legs, a pile of books stacked next to her, and she made her way through them happily, mimicking the reading of her siblings and making up her own stories.
I even got to sneak off to choose a couple of books for myself; I am hoping the pleasure of reading them will not be too elusive.

xx

* 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green - this quote jumped out at me when I read this novel over the Christmas break and I read it over and over. So beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!