Tuesday, January 14, 2014

14/365 • listening with the heart


I rush around crazy, and never really get anywhere, really see anything.
Constantly focusing on what is ahead limits me from seeing the now
The now-gift. The present. 
I've been working on it.

I've been working to simplify. 
To prioritise what is and isn't important, to live what I do meaningfully.

Those little people. I need to slow down for them.
Their brown eyes persistent in seeking to connect with mine.
Always with the little hands entwined around my fingers. Gentle tugging, nudging, hoping.
That I'll slow down enough, to bend down, see what they see.
Feel what they feel.
I remember scribbling down this sentence when I read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People years ago, and tonight it was brought to my attention again.

"In empathic listening, you listen with your ears, but you also, and more importantly, listen with your eyes and with your heart.  You listen for feeling, for meaning.  You listen for behavior.  You use your right brain as well as your left.  You sense, you intuit, you feel.”

How often am I listening without truly listening?
Not just with those little brown-eyed babes but with Daniel?
In conversations with my friends?
How much more would I hear if I wasn't wrapped up in my own world.
I have always been a listener. 
But I need to stop and learn how to listen with my eyes and with my heart.

I need to slow down.

xx

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. I also love the quote 'wherever you are, be all there'

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!