Saturday, December 28, 2013

not all who wander - the plan


I often avoid being still.
Letting my mind actually be still, without filling it up with distractions from my own thoughts.
Why is it so scary to actually stop, and hear what is going on in our mind? 
Or what that Still Small voice might be saying?
Because it might involve obedience? Or letting go of thoughts or attitudes we subconsciously use as a safety net?

I allowed myself to wander yesterday.
I drove out of my town. Out of my ordinary.
This time, I let myself stray.
Opened my guarded heart and let Him whisper, "enter this wide-open, spacious life"*

Inspiration, it seems, lurks further down the path than I care to follow sometimes.
I strayed a little further from the safe, well-worn paths of my own mind.
Faced thoughts, fears, worries. Dreams.

"On the other hand, he was also enjoying the ecstasy of an idea, not daring just yet to envision its complications, dangers and vicious absurdities. For now, the idea was enough. it was indestructible. Transforming it into reality, well, that was something else altogether. For now, though, let's let him enjoy it."
-The Book Thief
I've been carrying this quote with me for a couple of weeks. As I stewed on my own indestructible idea.

This coming year, I am determined to blog every day. Every. Single. Day.
It can be done. Beth and Amanda are two actual real people that I have laid eyes on who have done it.

Something [Someone!] is telling me it is what I need to do this year.
I'm terribly nervous, telling myself I am crazy, and wondering if this is another thing I'll add to the failed pile.
But the other part of me knows that a New Year is built on the foundations of the previous ones. And this year was a good foundation. I found discipline. Determination. Purpose.
And I am hoping*, hoping that I'm on the right path.

xx

* 2 Cor 6:11-13(Message)
* "The lines of purpose in your lives never grow slack, tightly tied as they are to your future in heaven, kept taut by hope" Colossians 1:3-5 (Message)

1 comment:

  1. I feel like that a lot of the time too. I'm determined to have more focus and organisation and commitment this year - for life in general and most definitely my blog. Can't wait to read a post a day from you:) x

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!