Tuesday, June 18, 2013

hello winter // pea and ham soup


There's nothing I love more on a dark winter afternoon than a pot of goodness bubbling away on the stove. Soups are nourishing, and warming, and teamed with a crusty slice of bread or two, are the perfect way to end a chilly winter's day.
This soup is a winter staple in our home. I've tweaked my method over the years and think I now make the most perfect pea and ham soup. Enjoy my lovelies!

Pea and Ham Soup // 
adapted from a Pea Soup recipe from my dad's 1940's Golden Wattle Cookery Book

1 tbs oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups split peas, rinsed
1 ham bone/hock
about 2 ltrs water, or enough to cover above ingredients
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large pot on the stove fry the oil, onion, garlic, carrot and celery, until onion is soft, over medium heat

2. Add peas, ham hock, and water, bring to boil

3. Lower the temperature, place lid on top, and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until meat is tender and falling from the bone. I like to skim any froth, or fat from the top now and then, as it cooks

4. Remove the bone, and skim the oil/fat from the top of the soup

5. Cut all off useable ham, and shred into smaller pieces, set aside

7. Blend the soup with a hand blender (or pour it into your thermomix) and whizz away until it's as smooth as you like it (I like it a little lumpy!) 

8. Add the shredded ham back to the soup, and reheat if necessary. Add salt and pepper (make sure you taste first, some ham bones can be rather salty and you might not need as much as you think)

Stay warm

xx


4 comments:

  1. oh Em perfect! I only do a very cheats version of a pea and ham soup...yours looks amazing...oh it's on my list for this week! Mhaw...wishing you a happy splendid week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious....I have a new slow cooker and this might be a great recipe for me to try. thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny to read your post after a hot and humid day in England! Better make the most of it, I am sure it will rain soon xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those Golden Wattle Cookbooks - so West Australian. I have my copy from the 1990s, my Mum has hers from the 50s and my Grandmother's from the 30s. My biggest complaint is that in the more recent edition they took out my stalwart recipe for pikelets - it was on page 131 of my Mum's edition, and I had to copy it out from there despite purchasing a copy of my very own:)

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!