Wednesday, February 6, 2013

{muesli bar recipe}


All the cool kids are doing it, this home-made muesli bar thing.
So, as with most things I make up the recipe as I go, hope for the best, and realise mistakes in hindsight.

Here's my recipe (for the thermomix, but you can melt the ingredients over the stove just as easily)

Pre-heat your oven to 150.
Prepare a slice tin lined with some baking paper.
Place 150g chopped butter, 80g rice malt syrup, and 30g raw sugar in your thermomix bowl. (the sugar can be omitted completely, or you could substitute honey for both the syrup and sugar).
Cook at 60 degrees 3 min/sp 1 for about 5 minutes, making sure all your butter is melted and sugar well dissolved.

Now here's the fun part.
Add all your favourite ingredients!
I added about 2 cups of oats, 2 cups of brown puffed rice, 30g pepitas, 30g sunflower seeds, some sesame seeds, and a little bit of flaxseed meal. Some cranberries would be perfect or chopped dates, but my kids are fuss-pots so these are fruit-free (and nut free, for school). I considered choc chips, but decided to drizzle melted chocolate over the top afterwards.

Combine your chosen ingredients Rev/sp 3/15 seconds or until all combined.

Press into your tin, and bake for about 30-45 minutes, or until golden. I realised after I'd only baked mine for 30, that I could have left them longer and they would have been less chewy. So bake them until your desired consistency has been reached. Let them cool in the tin, or they'll all fall apart when you slice them.

They should keep in an airtight container for a week or more!

I also made these LCM's yesterday but substituted the Rice Bubbles for brown puffed rice, and used raw sugar rather than white. These are a favourite for lunch boxes.
It was a busy day in the kitchen yesterday!

Happy baking xx

P.S - my "tea with me" link-up will be up tomorrow! Can't wait to tea with YOU!

xx

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I am a "plain" void of fruits for my kids too but plain is popular at playgroup, party time and other gigs I have discovered as I take home a empty plate. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!