Monday, September 17, 2012

happy anniversary



It is our anniversary today.
Hello 8th year of marriage.

I know its not super long in the grand scheme of things, but it's something I'm proud of. 

Those whimsical thoughts of marriage that I entertained when I first met this (very handsome) young boy over a decade ago, are very different to real life; 
the messy, chaotic, crazy, full-to-the-brim real life we now live.

And I'm not gonna lie: this marriage thing can be a tough gig!
Not just the disagreements, (big and small {and sometimes epic}),
but remembering to nurture this thing is tough.
Hebrews 13:4 says to honour my marriage.

honour
respect, regard, esteem
to keep a promise, or fulfill an agreement

 I'm guilty of not honouring.
Of complaining against him in conversation, sometimes even jokingly in front of him.
Of not respecting his desires, or trying to manipulate or control situations.
I like control.
I don't like feeling out of control.

But in order to fulfill the promise I made to support him, I need to learn to just
let go.

A few verses before, Hebrews says to:
"Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love"

It's not my love that holds us together, or his.
Mine is so flawed, so imperfect.
Even now as I type I harbor grudges; I get angry, impatient, unkind...
my love could never hold us together.
It's that Perfect, Life-Giving, Grace-filling, Mercy-Showing, all-Forgiving, Never-ending Love of a good God.

It's why we've lasted this long.

xx

7 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful and real Em, thank you so much for your honesty! I find the less I expect from him, the more effort I put in, and the more we pray together, the better our marriage is. Happy anniversary! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Expectation can be a killer! Thanks lovely xxx :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, I so agree with what you are saying. We wouldn't have been married nearly 35 years if it wasn't for Jesus...it would have been way too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything would be too hard without Him!
      And WOW! 35 years! Look at you go!! Proud of YOU sister! xo

      Delete
  3. Congratulations lovely and here's to many more wonderful years together :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!