Tuesday, August 7, 2012

a good fight

Much can happen in seven days.
I mean, look how much God did in the very first seven!

It has been a full week.
It has been hard to rejoice the beginning of my new season of study, when a young person in our lives has passed away.
It has been hard to mourn that life, when, within days of that devastation, brand new life has come forth in the form of my perfect baby niece.

I find myself often with the words from Ecclesiastes circling my brain. 
In my tiredness now I imagine them as black crows, flying around and around, making their repeated caws. "Everything is meaningless!", "Everything is boring!" 
At the same time, I know that whisper of Hope.
I feel the nudge to do well, to succeed.
To raise amazing children into amazing adults.
To write words to point people into a knowledge of their Creator.
To live a life of compassion, and hope, and to share this with others.

What motivates you?
For study? For hard work?
Why do we do what we do?
Is it all meaningless?

Or can we run a good race, fight a good fight?

I need to fight.
I need to fight complacency, stop being satisfied with just waiting.
Waiting for the tide to go in, then out; the wind to go around and around,
and life to just keep going.
Because, as we were made well aware of this week, life doesn't just keep going...

When the house is quiet, and three children are tucked into bed, clean, full-bellied, and warm.
When the lights are dimmed in the kitchen, the counters are wiped, dishes away.
When the laundry is done, and the clothes are away.
And I rest my head on my pillow, knowing lunches are made for tomorrow, clean clothes are set out, and I have worked hard.
I drift off to sleep knowing I have done everything I needed to.

That is the feeling I want to have when I leave this world.

So for now. 
I'll work hard.

Fight the good fight of faith. Shoo away the crows, and their caw caw-ing. 
I'll be a trier. A doer. 

"Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight for the true faith."
{1 Timothy 6:11-12}


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!