Tuesday, June 5, 2012

things.



image via


I never get tired of hearing God.
And while I've never heard His voice audibly, mostly the the whisper of my own conscience, it doesn't ever lack the surprise, or the amazement, that He's spoken to me, right in the midst of my circumstance. 
And always after I've been brutally honest. 
Sometimes I can justify things, through that racing filter of my thoughts, that by the time I've prayed them, I've already made excuses, and I don't really want to hear what God has to say. 
But when I get real, and raw, and honest; 
"I've been thinking this and I know it's crap, and I pretty much don't even know how to stop thinking that way, or even if I want to, so I just need some grace right now."...
then He shows up. In his fiery, fierce yet brazenly gentle way. And speaks.


Last night, to me, through A.W. Tozer's "The Pursuit of God", that I have been reading in bite sized chunks.
Chapter two felt like it was sinking into the soil of my heart, and I could feel the dirt being pounded on top and knew that deep in there was some sort of seed, and it is growing, just like the garlic I planted the other day. Something is going on under that soil, and I can't see it, but I know that in a couple of weeks there will be some green shoots and some life and some miraculous multiplication.


I want to include some of the chapter I read, and I don't know if it will feel like that for you, but it's good stuff anyway. Mr Tozer really has the goods, and I'll leave you with some of them.


"Before the Lord God made man upon the earth He first prepared for him a world of useful and pleasant things for his sustenance and delight. In the Genesis account of the creation these are simply "things". They were made for man's use, but they were meant always to be external to the man and subservient to him. In the deep heart of the man was a shrine where none but God was worthy to come. Within him was God; without, a thousand gifts which God had showered upon him.
But sin has introduced complications and has made those very gifts of God a potential source of ruin to the soul. 
Our woes began when God was forced out of His central shrine and things were allowed to enter. Within the human heart things have taken over. Men have now by nature no peace within their hearts, for God is crowned there no longer, but there in the moral dusk, stubborn and aggressive usurpers fight among themselves for first place on the throne....
... The roots of our hearts have grown down into things, and we dare not pull up one rootlet lest we die. Things have become necessary to us, a development never originally intended. God's gifts now take the place of God, and the whole course of nature is upset by the monstrous substitution... 
The way to deeper knowledge of God is through the lonely valleys of soul poverty and abnegation of all things. The blessed ones who possess the kingdom are they who have repudiated every external thing and have rooted from their hearts all sense of possessing...
Though free from all sense of possessing, they yet possess all things. "Theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
[exert from "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer, chapter 2]


I really honestly recommend his book, and the whole of this chapter, but for now, you'll have to have a bite sized chunk!


xx



2 comments:

  1. Love this... "In the Genesis account of the creation these are simply "things". They were made for man's use, but they were meant always to be external to the man and subservient to him. In the deep heart of the man was a shrine where none but God was worthy to come. Within him was God; without, a thousand gifts which God had showered upon him.
    But sin has introduced complications and has made those very gifts of God a potential source of ruin to the soul.
    Our woes began when God was forced out of His central shrine and things were allowed to enter. Within the human heart things have taken over."
    Great thought. Hadn't seen it from that angle before. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - and it has captivated my attention! I think i will be making a visit to the Koorong shop online and ordering me a copy pronto!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!