Saturday, June 9, 2012

first things first


Me? Here now. Hot chamomile tea, little ones sleeping, husband out, house is quiet. 
Pondering on beautiful friends (a couple of which, woke me at 7:30 am for a stroll to the beach, what a way to start a Saturday!), life from this moment, and some things I've read and journaled this week.

"You shall love the Lord God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might"

I know this verse.
I've heard it thrown around plenty of times.
I've probably even sprouted it off myself a few times!
I hadn't really read around it much though, till recently;

"You shall love the Lord God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up" Deuteronomy 6:5-9


The Amplified version:
"... shall be [first] in your [own] minds and hearts [then] you shall whet and sharpen them so as to make them penetrate, and teach and impress them diligently upon the [minds and] hearts of your children."

To teach my kids about God, I must first be living it.
It needs to be in my own mind and heart before I even begin to try to show them.
Or it won't penetrate into their own hearts, and minds.
It will just be noise to them, and make no sense.

Oh it seems so overwhelming!
On top of remembering homework, and library books, and hats and notes,
As well as being creative with lunchboxes, and playtimes,
and trying to sneak them veggies at dinner,
I have to do this too?! 
teach God diligently to my kids?!

"Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives." {Galatians 5:24-26 MSG} 

What are the implications?
In my life, they look like this;
to love others, wholeheartedly.
to speak kindly.
to refuse to take offense.
to be lead by Him.

I'm sure we, as parents, will make mistakes. We already have, more times than I can count.
But that is part of the 'life we have chosen'.
This imperfect, messy, crazy, life.
The plate-spinning act of living out the call, and raising kids in the midst.
but
my kids will see it.
they'll walk it through with us.
they will see and learn real faith

and then when I teach them why this is the way we do what we do,  
because it's the way He wants it,
because it's the way to Freedom.
they'll get it, they'll understand.
and they will look to Him too.

I want so much more for those three precious souls, than I do even for myself.



xx



4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I need to be an example to my children in times of crisis and times of blessing. It is difficult, but I am thankful for His grace. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really difficult. You are doing an amazing job at raising those warrior boys though, and setting an example for the rest of us! xx

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing your insights, something for us all to ponder
    love the new blog look:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meek! I am still getting used to the new look!
      And yes... something to ponder on the rest of my mothering days I think! xx

      Delete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!