Thursday, May 31, 2012

feels like rain

After a couple of stunning weeks of warm autumn days, crisp mornings, and chilly nights, the rain came. 
And while I love cosy warm days inside, wearing wooly jumpers and drinking warm liquids to heat our insides, it's all to easy to let the dark gloomy day work it's way, like the liquid, to the inside too.
How fickle our soul! How easily moved, and swayed by circumstances!
Yesterday I walked the smalls home from school with a skip in my step, and sunshine on my face.
This morning, all rugged up, umbrellas and gumboots at the ready, my soul would have liked to grump itself all the way there. 
Complain that there is no car, complain that this is too hard, complain about the half dozen things I could have done today, but instead: stuck at home.


As usual, that still small voice used the journey of raising children to speak to me loud and clear.







She danced in puddles, splashed her way to school, so excited about the rain.
Mr 6, the hood of his jacket firmly on his head plodded along, chuffed he was allowed to be out there, in the weather, when usually his mummy wouldn't allow outdoor play.
Baby A laughed in her pram, marveling at the water falling from the sky, giggling and yelling "Rain! Rain!"


What gloominess?




Again, the thankful. 
Thankful for our walking legs, the closeness of school, our eyes to see a not so sun shiney beauty in creation.


I've been meditating on Philippians 4 lately, and I love the way the Message puts verses 11 to 13;


"I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am."

Still finding the thankful in every moment.

xx

4 comments:

  1. The bible is such an amazing source of encouragement and grounding. We are blessed to be able to seek comfort in it. Thanks for sharing your humanity and your spirituality - that is what I like best about your sweet blog space. Blessings, Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your awesome post. I have been feeling the same and you have inspired me to post something similar. What a beautiful verse.

    Thanks heaps
    Sarann

    ReplyDelete
  3. .....even more encouraging when we think of how very little Paul actually had! This makes me thankful, but yes knowing the key to contentment no matter what, amazing!
    Your post reminds me so much of my world and is so refreshing for me... gladness & thankfulness all over x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I needed today. The rain and gloominess and hubby away was all too much today. The sun finally came out and I refused to.
    Previously we've done the school walk in the rain. Picked older kids up and their classmates have watched on in excitement and awe as they've swapped into gumboots and raincoats for the walk home. You can hear the kids "Awwwwww cool they get to walk in the rain" and the mummies "at least we don't have to walk in this weather" scowls. I wonder when we change our view from wonder, amazement and awe at this part of God's creation, to finding it all an inconvenience in OUR busy lives.
    Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!