Tuesday, March 6, 2012

mine. time.



time is an easy thing to become frustrated over...
I know I often have been.
So many times I've wanted to split myself into three (at least!) so I can do everything.
One to sit and cuppa with that friend.
Another to sew, craft, make, create all day long.
the other (poor) me could make sure the house was spic and span and dinner prepared.

when I clean, I feel like I am neglecting the little (and big) people in my life.
when I play with the little people, the house seems to unravel like a ball of yarn, into the big mess I'd been trying to avoid.

frustrating much?!
and I stomp my feet, internally complaining that I haven't even had any me time.
when will i get to sit down and read, or sew?!
it is always for everybody else!

so, earlier in the year when I read C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters", i drew a sharp breath reading this:

"They anger him because he regards his time as his own and feels that it is being stolen. You must therefore zealously guard in his mind the curious assumption "My time is my own". Let him have the feeling that he starts each day as the lawful possessor of twenty-four hours. Let him feel as a grievous tax that portion of this property which he has to make over to his employers, and as a generous donation that further portion which he allows to religious duties. But what he must never be permitted to doubt is that the total from which these deductions have been made was, in some mysterious sense, his own personal birthright.

...

Man can neither make, nor retain, one moment of time; it all comes to him by pure gift, he might as well regard the sun and moon as his chattels."

My time is not my own.

I can't claim it as mine. It isn't promised to me. I can't demand it.

my mind shifted...
how blessed am I to even have this time given to me.
it should be used for reaching out to others, for making a difference, for sowing into the lives of my children, for creating a [clean, tidy] inviting home to welcome others in to.


 I don't have to do it all.
I can only do the best that I possibly can for the One who has given it to me.

It's freeing

xx

8 comments:

  1. WOW! Revelation right there! Thank you for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to put into words how this revelation changed me... but it really did do something permanent! Glad you "got" it too! :) xxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! As a mumma of littlies and a husband who works away, I know you know the preciousness of time! :) xx

      Delete
  3. oh Em this is beautiful,

    Thank you for the 'slap in the face' :)
    so needed it.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I wasn't the only one who felt that slap!! ;)
      Thank you gorgeous xxx

      Delete
  4. Such wisdom here...and so convicting. I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this new perspective... and i need it too.

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!