Saturday, December 3, 2011

{pink grapefruit}












I have often wished I was one of those eaters of pink grapefruit.
It sounds so whimsy to just eat pink grapefruit for breakfast.

pink grapefruit.
doesn't it just sound so pretty?!

But no matter how hard I try, I. don't. like. it.
Not one bit.
It looks lovely. Inviting. But no. I can't do it!

And nor do I like the pink grapefruit and orange marmalade I made this morning, cooling in it's pretty jars, with pretty labels (labels from here)
It's bitter. Tangy. Has an awful aftertaste.
Apparently that's marmalade. 

Oh well. The older generation in our families will appreciate the gift I'm sure.

But it did get me thinking about the 'bitterness' thing.
Because that marmalade is bitter. It bites.
And off my little brain went on a tangent, lead, I'm sure by that Still Small Voice.

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behaviour. Instead, be kind to each other, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you"
{Ephesians 4:31-32}


When things are spoken, or implied, or unsaid, or ignored... when there's that yuk just lingering there...
Oh I so have opportunity to keep my bitterness.
But if it really tasted like that marmalade, I'd be so quick to physically spit that yuk out!
And the aftertaste! Ugh!

I don't want to be a bitter taste, or have a bitter heart, so that when people spend time with me, they have to go away and wash!
I want to be what pink grapefruit should be! 
Delightfully refreshing; 
kind, quick to forgive and forget...

There will be many an opportunity for me to keep that bitterness in my mouth (heart!).
But I am making the decision, over and over, to swallow it, along with my pride, and keep loving anyway.

From pink grapefruit to forgiveness?
Crazy brain!

xx




2 comments:

  1. "Delightfully refreshing" is such a wonderful (aspirational) phrase......my crazy brain jumped from pink grapefruit to salt "salt and light to those around"! A little bit to bring out the true flavour.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we are meant to be more like 'sweet orange' or 'mandarine' marmalade...far sweeter without the bitterness. You would probably love mandarine marmalade..yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!