Friday, December 30, 2011

beyond Christmas





I've found this happy place outside here.
Reading, reflecting, and a little bit of writing.

The beginning of a new year.
Who doesn't like a fresh start?!

I felt that Small voice bring a verse to mind earlier in the week.
When I read the verse, and continued to read the chapter through, it was like some jigsaw pieces in my mind suddenly fit together. Those fragmented thoughts, hopes and resolutions for 2012 that have been floating around amongst the clutter of my mind somehow fit, and made the picture whole, and de-cluttered some mess.
Breathing space in there again.
Confirmation, reminders, a shift of focus back to that race that has been marked out for me.

"THEREFORE THEN, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us,
    Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]." 
{Hebrews 12:1}



We tend to start the year off strong. Strong in our minds about our resolutions, and the goals we hope to achieve... at least, I did!
I hit August, and realised with dismay that one goal in particular, that I had set myself, had been at the back of my mind for the entire 8 months, and I had not even taken one single step to achieving that goal.
It's hard not to be disappointed in myself. 
I had gotten distracted. 
Some distractions were warranted. Others, not so much.
I probably started moving over and trying to run in someone else's lane for a while, join them because their race looked easier, prettier, more fun.
All the while falling behind in my own race.

Which is why I love fresh starts, new years, new days, new minutes...
I'm resolving to stay in my lane, keep my eyes fixed on my own Prize.

The ugliness of comparison isn't welcome here.
The trying to 'keep up' has been set aside.
It's not hard when I'm in my own lane!

Some things need to be walked away from, but what we turn to walk towards is usually a whole lot better!

Here's to a strong 2012!

xx

6 comments:

  1. How I love this!!

    I am really looking forward to journeying the New Year with you Em and seeing the growth that comes, Twenty 12 is going to be a GREAT year!

    Am loving the look of your new outdoor space, cuppas on the patio when I visit next?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection and maturity here we come! Bring on 2012 and all we can achieve in it - thank you as ever for the lovely reminder x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! love that verse! perfect for me this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for your beautiful words and reflection. And the reminder - one I needed. Happy and joyful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this verse too. Great verse for the new year! Here's to a strong twenty12 indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful thoughts for 2012! Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!