Wednesday, June 22, 2011

take heart.


Something profound came from my pastor a little while back… and I’ve not been able to get it out of my head since:
“It’s dangerous to assume that your world is the world”
He spoke regarding finances and gave us some statistics. One I remember: did you know that experts have estimated that it would only take 20 billion dollars to feed and clothe the entire third world?!
This is the same amount of money America spends on ice-cream in one year.
Yep. It’s mind boggling.

But this statement has crept into my head at every given opportunity.
Bring perspective.
Relief.
Gratitude.

Look up. Look out.

To a neighbour I have recently met.
Only one house separates us.  We are similar in age.
We have similar aged children.
Yet our lives are worlds apart.
Her youngest, a beautiful two and a half year old is autistic.
Non-vocal. Sometimes unresponsive.
Her weeks are filled with therapy. Her laundry is overflowing.
Yet she took the time to invite me in, and make me a tea.
My heart broke for her, and immediately repented of my internal complaining about my three year old’s endless chatter.
My world is not the world.

The beautiful woman I had the privilege of meeting on the weekend.
She was a pastor alongside her husband for 20 years.
Of the biggest church in our state.
Her husband became ill. It was a tumour on his brain.
She is now his full-time carer as he continues the long road of rehabilitation.
She is nothing short of graceful.
She has a gentleness, a heart for people, and a transparency that shone steadfastness.
A faith, and a trust – not in her circumstances, but in her God.
Her world has changed completely.
My world is not the world.

To the women in my world who daily struggle with depression.
The ones who’s husbands work away weeks at a time, who are left with households to manage, babies to care for.
Those of us that are desperate for marriage, or babies, or both… and it just doesn’t seem to be happening…

Each of us have our own daily struggles.
If I am honest, I’ll tell you that mine are more internal struggles than external.
Circumstantially, things are pretty sweet in my little nest. But internally, my feathers can be a bit ruffled from time to time! Anxiety can creep in. The dark cloud seems to loom threateningly in the distance… BUT:

“Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33


This is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go Josh 1:9

And despite what is going on in my world… with eyes lifted I will remember:

Never walk away from someone who deserves help; your hand is God’s hand for that person.” (Prov 3:27 MSG)

xx

4 comments:

  1. Oh Em,

    How I love your words my girl.
    How I love your ways and your honesty and your view.

    Actually, I just love YOU!

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my parents always telling us that there is always someone with bigger struggles than our own but never understood what they meant until I became an adult.

    My world is not THE world is a great way of seeing things.

    Missed you on Monday :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words Em!
    It's definitely a quote to remember.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Em, I was in church in Cambodia this morning and was lead to the "Take heart" verse in John 16:33, then tonight as I'm going through old messages on FB, found your blog, and found this verse again! Thank you for your wonderful words and understanding, and I look forward very much to seeing future blogs :)
    I think your pastor, Claude, may be coming to speak at New Life soon - I'm looking forward to that :)
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!