Monday, June 27, 2011

beautiful soup, rich and green



Okay, so this SOUP doesn't look super appetising... and even the thought of broccoli soup doesn't appeal straight away... {And I know this especially by husband's reaction when I informed him that this was what we were having for dinner, the first time I made it!}
But I promise it's good! Give it a chance!

And I picked up my broccoli for 69 cents each. 
Bonus.

Anyway... this is the recipe, for those of you who are game enough to try!

Cut up 1 large onion into chunks (it doesn't have to be perfect remember, it's gonna be soup) and put it into a big saucepan over medium heat with a bit of olive oil. Add about 3 cloves of crushed garlic and stir for a bit until it starts to smell like you've done something really clever and been in the kitchen all day, hehe!
Throw in two broccoli (also cut up chunky) stalks and all, a cauliflower (yep, cut this up too) and I put a potato in too, but this is optional. 
Cover your veggies with liquid stock - I used chicken the first time, and vegetable stock this time, whatever you prefer.
Bring this to the boil, with the lid on, and then turn it down to a simmer until all your vegetables are soft.
To be safe, don't blend until it's cooled down a bit. Although I don't take my own advice on that one, I am too impatient.

Serve with some crusty bread, and a generous dollop of sour cream...

Yummy!

The lovely lady who shared the recipe with me also uses curry powder or curry paste to give it a bit more flavour, but I'm a salt girl, and just put some extra sea salt flakes in... yum!

"Beautiful soup, so rich and green
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!
Beautiful soup! Who cares for fish
Game, or any other dish?
Who would not give all else for two
Pennyworth of beautiful soup?"

Lewis Carroll, ‘Alice in Wonderland’

xx

2 comments:

  1. yum, Yum, YUM!! I have always been intrigued by brocolli soup but have never been game enough to try it...if you say it's good, I'm keen to give it a go :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on the stove now! And a loaf of bread in the bread maker....smelling good in here!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!