Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The to-do's





There's no mistaking it.
Some things have to be done.
They don't get done by pretending they don't exist, or by burying any appendages in the sand - trust me I've tried!


Do you ever lay in bed at night and go over that to-do list in your mind? Yet the following day accomplishes, um, zilch of that to-do list and you find yourself mulling over the same list night after night?
It may just be me. 
I am a professional procrastinator.


Yet, as I procrastinate, I subconsciously stress about the things I am procrastinating from, knowing I should be doing them. But it just gets bigger and bigger in my mind, and harder and harder to do!


Baby A is overdue an immunisation, Princess E is overdue a quite important dentist appointment (she has cavities, eek!), my watch lost a pin and had been sitting on the kitchen bench awaiting attention for months! The extent of the list, which includes invoicing and tax stuff for my husband, and other not so fun things requiring my almost urgent, and undivided attention, seemed huge.
How easy to get overwhelmed.


My subconscious stressing manifested itself physically in cold sores. Ugh.


I didn't want to keep burying my head in the sand (mmm, in the nice and dark and warm, and no access to any to-do lists in there!) but I also wanted that taunting, sleep-stealing to-do list to GO AWAY!


So do you know what I did? First I prayed. 
God, help me! I need the motivation to tackle these things that I know aren't big, but sometimes seem so hard... I know you care about the little things...



"People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." 
- Matthew 6 {The Message}



Then. I got it out of my head, and wrote it all down. 
And I started to conquer each task, one by one.
Not brain surgery for you, you say? No big deal? Well, for this passive, cruisy, nonchalant girl... definitely required a lot more of me than I was comfortable in giving.


BUT. Let me just say, I am now wearing my watch again - hip hooray!
Baby A has an appointment with the doctor. 
I have a list that actually has a handful of things crossed off it!
The weight on my shoulders has lightened, and I have learned a good lesson in being pro-active, and at the same time, trusting my God that He is my Help in time of need.


It feels good!


xx

3 comments:

  1. I love that he cares about every detail of our life! You sound a lot like me. People always say to me upon finding out that I am homeschooling, "You must be so organised!" Um no! Yay for to-do lists and ticking them off. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I too procrastinate and if it wasn't for my list making I would likely not get much done.

    Moving has ignited this need to get done the many things I have been putting off for months and I think I have actually achieved more in this past week than I have in the last few months..hip hooray for making a dent in your list :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it that in our weakness we can know God's strength...hooray for to do lists being ticked off! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!