Monday, May 9, 2011

{ode to mothers}

It was my fifth Mother's Day yesterday. 
Do I think I'm any better mother than I was on the first, and second and third? 
You know what? I probably am! This mothering stuff does actually get easier with practice!


Not only that, but I think (I would hope!) that the last five years has grown me as a person. That my character is enlarged, and that my ability in mothering increased.
Because God loves me too much to leave me this way! 

"There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish..." (Philippians 1:6, Message)

And He has most certainly used my children to teach me a few things along the way.
Unconditional love.
Never ending patience.
Forgiveness. 
Grace.
And that's all bestowed upon me by them!

I am by no means a perfect mother. I can be impatient, irritable, harsh... I am human. I can strive for perfection, and fail, and get down on myself. That elusive 'perfect mother'. The one who has it all together…
We are not, any of us, perfect mothers I am sure. 
But we are mothers who lavish our children with kisses and cuddles. 
Who pretend we don't notice when a stealthy child crawls in to our bed in the middle of the night and snuggles in. Who spends the journey home from the school run praying for their protection. 
Who spends countless hours on the floor entertaining little ones, and days on end building lego planes. 
We cup our children’s faces in our hands and tell them we love them, believe in them, are proud of them.
We are the mothers who put our own desires aside, sacrifice ourselves for our families.
We do the best that we can, in the various seasons that we are in.

The world needs mother’s hearts. A genuine attitude of selflessness. That love and care that only a mother can give. Affirmation and wisdom.

I love how Lisa Bevere describes mothers:
“… those who lay down life to bring forth life – whether this is by way of natural childbirth, adoptions, or rescue. I have found mothers to be advocates for children and change, protectors, nurturers, and healers of the sick. They are the ones who respond to a child’s cry in the night. They grow into masters at multitasking. A mother is one who feeds and sustains life with warmth and what beauty she finds. She is a wiper of tears, calmer of fears, tender of injuries, instructor, teacher, friend, and a confidant who gives advice whether you need it or not! She is a woman with answers who will tell you who she is. (“Because I am your mother, that’s why!”)”

“They are the ones who respond to a child’s cry in the night” hit home for me.
Most of what we do as mothers is in the ‘night’. Behind closed doors, where we are working and playing, and mothering our children. There is not much accolade for us as mothers, but it is most certainly the most rewarding job I have ever done!

Praying your mother’s day was blessed!

xx







1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful words Em :)

    I know in my 18 years as a mum I have grown not only in my mothering skills but as a person and I have my little people to thank immensely for that. They have not only taught me so much about myself but about the spirit of others and have shaped me into the woman I am now and I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart that there is nothing I would rather do more.

    x

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!