Friday, May 20, 2011

In Light of Eternity

Hanging out the washing in the sunshine, listening to the chatter of my gorgeous three year old daughter bouncing on the trampoline, and occasionally looking over at her cries of, "Watch me! Watch my tricks mummy!". Enjoying the small, the mundane.
When, from inside, my phone beeps. Alerting me to a message of some sort - my handy device that can tell me I have a text, a facebook notification, that I was mentioned in a tweet, an instagram comment or that an email has arrived.
So, not really thinking, and curious, I started to put down the pegs in my hand, and the item of clothing back in the basket, and like a zombie, started towards the house. Probably like numerous times before, allowing my little Apple device distract me from my here and now reality.
Only this time I stopped in my tracks. 
Suddenly aware of what I was doing, I shook my head in disbelief, turned around and continued to hang the clothes on the line.
Only this time wondering what it would have been like to live in a time where technology did not prove so distracting.
Wait a second. It wasn't so long ago that I lived in that time!
What did I do three years ago when there wasn't such a pull in me to spend all this time on facebook? Or blog? Or tweet? Or upload photos for all of my 20-something followers to see?
Do you know what I did?
I baked, I sewed, I had coffees with friends, playdates for the kids, planted veggies, read books, went on dates with my husband, played with my babies, did housework...
I journalled without wondering if it would make a good blog post.
I lived my life without looking for the quirky/inspiring/fun facebook status in everything I did.
I loved on my children, took them to the park, had picnics in the backyard because I wanted to, not because of the added bonus of being able to post it on some form of social media.
I had early morning devotions, read my Bible, enjoyed my cup of tea, without feeling the need to take a photo and show the world.
I did things because I was prompted by God, not because I thought it might make a good blog post later.
I reached out to people because I cared, not so I would receive recognition.
I was probably lonely occasionally, this mothering gig can be solitary... but I had time to spend in the stillness, let my mind wander to Him. I knew how to stop, without reaching for my phone. I was content in my own world, without the need to peer into others'. 




I journalled these thoughts, a while back. And have been recently reminded of them.
As a church, we are reading 'The Purpose Driven Life', and doing Rick Warren's 40 Days of Purpose.
This reminded me of that day that I decided social media wouldn't control me. It's still a daily decision.
In chapter 4, Rick Warren writes:
"When you fully comprehend that there is more to life that just here and now, and you realise that life is just preparation for eternity, you will begin to live differently. You will start living in light of eternity, and that will colour how you handle every relationship, task and circumstance. Suddenly many activities, goals, and even problems that seemed so important will appear trivial, petty and unworthy of your attention. The closer you live to God, the smaller everything else appears."


So, as much as I love blogland, facebook etc... it doesn't seem so important. It's not at the forefront of what I do, and I'm releasing myself from the expectations I have of myself to 'keep up'. 


Just sayin' :)


xx

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! As you know, I deleted my FB account yeterday and immediately felt FREEDOM from expectations that I had to keep up. I looked at my sons differently and felt like a weight had lifted off my shoulders - one that I had put there!!! It's almost like i have woken up from a zombie like state......Love you my friend - go live and be in the moment without technology dictating your time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ha! Just realised that was Stacey not you that I was telling about deleting my FB account....anyway ;)There's something in the water...something in the water ah ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooo good babe!

    You know which line hit me right between the eyes? "trivial, petty and unworthy of your attention". Man! So so true in the light of Eternity.

    I love you Mrs Duckegg blue.

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I long for those days of simplicity, the easiness of it all. Being so consumed with modern technology is coming at a cost, one which I don't want to pay...give me uninterrupted time with my loved ones any day over any social media :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just linked to your blog through 'Things I'm Loving' Linky and this post drew me in...SO GOOD! Really. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wisdom. Oh how often we forfeit eternal moments in exchange for a fleeting experience that tickles our flesh. Help us Lord to make every moment matter in the light of eternity!
    Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!