Tuesday, May 24, 2011

a [clean] out

Do you ever get in those moods where you just want to get gloves on up to your elbows and scrub out every dusty corner, every cobwebby nook, and all those overlooked cupboards?
I have been feeling like that lately. I just want things clean, squeaky clean. And with three small kids, and one big one (hehe) it's a never-ending process.

{I am really hoping I am not the only one with out of date goods in the pantry, and leftover somthing-that-doesn't-look-like-it-did-two-weeks-ago in the far corner of the fridge!}

I had a friend laugh at me, a few weeks ago, when I checked the date of some cream in the fridge, and, upon finding it had expired days before, returned it to it's place on the shelf. Obviously without any thought. And said cream? Yes, still sitting there.

But not for long. I'm going to get those gloves out today!



Sometimes, well... often, I think that the state of our households can say something about our own internal state. It is definitely true for me. Often, it can just be the result of busyness, but more often than not, it can alert me to some heart issues...

Looking at those unidentified leftovers made me think a little of how gross things can get when we leave them for too long. I know this to be true of myself. 

Much like when I stand in front of my fridge, looking for the milk, or the cheese, and my eyes rest momentarily upon that container of leftovers, knowing that they need to be thrown out, but then move on, without action... 
Little thoughts have crossed my mind. 
Thoughts that I know need to be dealt with, thrown out straight away. 
But when action isn't taken immediately, those thoughts can get pretty gross too. Left alone there, pushed to the back of my mind, often turning into much more than just a passing wrong thought.

We can have control of our thoughts. We can choose what lingers there. We can decide what to be rid of. Even when it comes to thoughts about ourselves.
I like who I am. I am thankful I was made this way. I have something to give that no one else can. Life is good. I am thankful.

I will look after my thinking... but I'll let God clean out my heart. (While I clean out my fridge... ew!)

{Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me}
-Psalm 51:10

xx

5 comments:

  1. Love!
    Great post babe, I'll go get the "Vanilla Fridge Wipe" out now too.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post as always Em to get me really thinking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em...I'm relly tired of your instagram pictures and blog posts making me want to clean up!! I did my washing today and thanks to this post I'll be cleaning my fridge tomorrow!
    Beautiful post girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this post on so many levels :)
    Am thinking about all that is needed to get this place organised for new tenants...not looking forward to packing or cleaning.
    I had the chance on Monday to clear out some festering thoughts (thanks Linda) and am letting God handle what's on my heart.
    Great post Miss Em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny am gearing myself up for a big clean out today, so right need to clean inside as well as out!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!