Friday, April 22, 2011

don't let your dreams be dreams...

We have spent the last week in our South West. Blessed.
I have grown up down there. While friends of mine would jet off with their parents to exotic places like Bali, or the Gold Coast on school holidays, my parents, who couldn't afford such 'luxuries' would take us camping. Every school holidays almost.
I never really appreciated this (like so many other things!) until I was older.
Old enough to appreciate the beauty of the places we stayed at, all those places that hold many of my childhood memories.
The place we stayed this week was one of those. The nearby caravan park was my most favourite of places to camp, always this time of year, for the Easter school holidays. By the beach, and by the Karri forest, I couldn't do justice to this place with my words, nor explain the feeling I always have driving through the Karri forest. It is magical, weaving through the tall trees, in dappled sunlight. It always reminded me as a child of the Old Forest in 'The Lord of the Rings' (I must have been reading that on a camping trip once, it's stuck forever!), although the trees, I'm sure, are much friendlier!

I was overloaded, this holiday, with memories from my childhood. Not just memories, but feelings, and thoughts as well. Reminded of a time where life was much simpler, where we flittered from moment to moment, never worrying about what was ahead. Unless, of course, we wondered what we were having for dinner. We lived, purely and simply in the now. We had time to sit and stare, energy to run and play. We stopped to look at things I no longer have time for in my now. My 'now' that consists of not just the here and now moments, but the doubts of my yesterdays and the concerns about my tomorrows.
We thought to ourselves: "When I grow up I'm going to be a teacher/writer/artist/rockstar/fireman".
I'm going to be. Without the self doubt. Without worrying about whether we are good enough/pretty enough/clever enough/talented enough. Without the worries that plague us as adults.

When did we stop dreaming? Or believing in the dreams we had?!
We have eternity placed in our hearts... what else did He place in there for us to discover? For us to use for Him?

I am getting back there... I am doing a bit of soul searching... and taking lessons from these ones in the meantime:




"A dreams a dream
And all this livings so much harder than it seems
But girl don't let your dreams be dreams
You know this livings not so hard as it seems
Don't let your dreams dreams
Your dreams your dreams be dreams"
-Jack Johnson

xx

1 comment:

  1. wow only just stumbled onto your blog, and gosh! This post is like a carbon copy of what is on my heart at the moment - been taking over my thoughts too...so much we can learn from watching how our kids do things too.

    Thanks for your beautifully written words : )

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!