Wednesday, April 13, 2011

snob coloured glasses

So our almost two weeks of Mr J’s new school are up, and end of term is approaching.


I only really wrote about how he was settling in – and he seriously is amazing me each day. He is willing and eager, super excited. This mother’s heart loves to see his joy at school and learning. Oh, and it helps when today is his ‘news’ day… he took a Transformer, of course!



Me, however? I’ve taken a little longer to settle in to his new school.
I have been a snob (insert horrified gasp!).
You see, we have come from a beautiful, small private Christian school.
Which is just lovely. But for a myriad of reasons, decided, with a real peace about our decision, to send Joel to our local school. The one around the corner surrounded by gum trees.
The grounds are beautiful. The playgrounds are a pre-schooler’s delight. But there were other visual differences, that, with my snob-glasses on, were completely in my face.
Note the past tense. Were. It’s definitely a were.
The school uniform is not as strict as our little private school. Children were wearing all sorts of different shoes (at his old school Mr J was only allowed primarily white, with Velcro straps, with the school socks), girls had pink accessories in their hair, and some kids were not even wearing the school shorts. Imagine me internally hyperventilating at the mismatched scruffiness!

What have we done?! I can’t leave my son here with …………… (You really don’t want to know the extent of my judgmental thoughts!)

And all because it wasn’t as visually appealing as his old school. Because I had a sense of pride, previously unbeknown to me, about the fact that (insert haughty snobby voice) “My son attends a private school”. Yuk! I didn’t know my heart was carrying that kind of condition until I was one of the public school mums, dealing with some judgmental ickiness!  

So then, of course, now that I was aware, I was responsible to change. And change I did. Almost instantly. All I had to do was remove the snob-glasses! And that was easy with a little help from this really great mirror I have:

My dear friends, don't let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. (James 2:1)

MY BRETHREN, pay no servile regard to people [show no prejudice, no partiality]. Do not [attempt to] hold and practice the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ [the Lord] of glory [together with snobbery]! (James 2:1 Amp)

The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. (1 Sam 16:7)




And I must say things shifted almost immediately, in my mind.

I didn’t see clothing, I saw people.
I refused to look at the outside, and focused on really seeing those mothers.
How could I carry that kind of judgement, knowing who I am and what God has done for me?!
How can I not walk in complete acceptance and genuine love?!

Mr J and I? We are going to be light to the darkness.

xx

4 comments:

  1. I had the same experience when I went to the local soccer club. One of the parents came in and was using some low coarse language and 'judgemental Jo' came out. I thought "Do I really want my son hanging around with these people?" THESE PEOPLE???? Who did I think I was? Better than them? I was really challenged and felt His Spirit whisper to me, "these are My people too. I love them just as I love you."

    I have taken off my "snob glasses" and realised that I can be the light in their darkness.

    Love you my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my girl, just amazing!

    And I've said it before but I'll say it again, this school move is definitely a God-thing! What a witness you are to other families in our community - you will certainly give much, but will also get much in return, so proud of you...and oh how I love that light of yours- it's glow is infectious!!
    Love you much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our children go to the local private Christian school. However, at our little private Christian school, I feel I am the one being judged. We don't have the fancy house/latest technological gadgets/new clothes etc that a lot of other families have (and yes, that sounds like I'm being judgemental as well!) I sense the judgement from other mothers. But my husband & I spent a long time in prayer about where to send our children. There are 3 other local schools near us - yet we felt called to the Christian one. And despite being a Christian school, I could count the number of "Christian/church-going" families in my children's classes on both hands. So while they "look" the part, they are still people underneath all the finery, and still in need of a Saviour. This is where we feel called to be the "light" at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this post Em. This year has been a hard start for me with my little man starting school.
    Though I am on the other-side of the glass, as I feel uncomfortable and judged for the fact that I do look fairly young and consistently get strange looks when walking around with the boys.
    i started to realize that even though people will continue to think that no matter how I dress or look, I need to worry only about GODS opinion of me, knowing that in HIM i am loved, accepted and favored.
    As Debbie did, we too prayer-ed long and hard about where to send our boys.
    Stay Strong beautiful you, Mr J, myself and Mr D will be lights to those that Jesus loves so dearly. We are in public school for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!