Tuesday, April 5, 2011

{seasonal}

Husband and I were just talking about the weather, and anticipating some cooler days later this week.
Here in Perth, did you know we recorded 57 days of more than 32 degrees? Apparently the longest hot spell on record, ever! We are also on our 63rd day without rain. Ugh. It's supposed to be AUTUMN!

Now, I am a summer girl. I have always liked the warmer weather. I love getting up in the morning and feeling warmth, and not having to rug up the kids with dressing gowns and socks and ugg boots. I love the ease of throwing on a dress, and some sandals and voila! dressed without any thought.
I love the ocean, the feel of the sun kissing my skin and sand in my toes. I love sleeping with windows wide open, and just a sheet on.

However.
I am over it now. I am pining for cooler months. For days we can rug up in our warmer clothes and stay inside and cosy, for porridge in the mornings, for the sound and smell of rain (rain? what's that?!), for scarves and leggings and hot chocolates with marshmallows... winter, I am longing for you!

I am so thankful for our seasons.
Thankful that we get a taste of each, and generally (with this summer as an exception) just as I have had enough of one, the next one rolls quietly in.
Which got me thinking about the seasons in our lives.
Seasons of ups, then downs. Doesn't sickness seem to come in seasons? (And speeding fines!)
Seasons in my marriage, seasons in my mind, in my spirit. Seasons in finances. Seasons of abundant creativity and flow, then seasons of dryness and lack.
Why? Why can't it be spring always? Would I enjoy spring if it were here to stay? Forever?
Maybe... but it would get boring. And I would get complacent.

Something profound mentioned from the pulpit on Sunday: the need for us to wake each morning and rely on a Word from our God. A little like what C.S Lewis says in this quote I blogged from 'The Problem of Pain'.  I know myself, I need to be in a place where I need Him. Otherwise my pursuit of Him isn't as passionate or vigilant as it should be. So maybe I need a long winter here and there, to fully enjoy all that spring has.
It's definitely a spring season in my marriage right now. There's a newness, plenty of life, birds chirping (yes, I'll be enjoying it all while it lasts, and making effort to keep it spring for as long as I can!)
Maybe a bit of a summer (dry, parched, barren) in the realm of my inspiration/creativity/motivation.
Then lately my heart has been experiencing a winter. It's been wet and gloomy and cold even, in some places. There are things being moved and shifted, but it's all so far under the snow and the ice, deep down in the dirt... I know there are some changes taking place, but it won't be until the spring season that I will see those bulbs begin to sprout and bloom and I will see the fruit of my patience and steadfastness.

I just thank God that things change. That we can "rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment..."

And before we know it, the next season has has begun!

Bring on a cool change I say!

xx

3 comments:

  1. So good Em! To everything there is a season and purpose under Heaven huh!!:-)
    And yay, jeans weather at last!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Seasons indeed. I love that even in nature there are such wonderful parallels to our lives. And I like that you said you can be in different seasons with different areas of your life all at the same time..so true. Often when one area is being worked on and it feels so hard and barren, another is cruising along nicely and we're not even really aware of it.

    Beautifully written xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very well said Meghan! So true xx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!