Sunday, March 13, 2011

Perspective


Today is the fourth day my husband has been gone. Cambodia, specifically Phnom Penh. He's there with a team from our church - if you'd like to know more about what they're doing there, have a look here.
I spoke briefly with him yesterday, and he has been blown away by the amount of people at the crusades they are running, and the hundreds of people who have been healed, and given their lives to Christ.  When I hear this, it immediately puts and end to my internal whinging. Not that I am really whinging as such, just really missing him.
I feel like my right arm has been cut off.
I miss his company, his cuddles, his presence, his help.
12 days is a long time!

There have been tears. Tantrums (mine and the kids'!).

But then I see the absolute devastation in Japan. 
Suddenly I am grateful to be able to speak with my husband even. 
Grateful for the piles of washing, because it means we have clean clothes to wear. Grateful for the mountain of dishes, because it means we have been eating well. Grateful for exhaustion, because it is the result of spending a precious, satisfying day with my three favourite little people. 
It's all about perspective.
How easy to see our own lack, when compared to the people our church, my husband, are ministering to, we are filthy rich. And I use the word filthy on purpose. Filthy, because our minds are often polluted with materialism, with what we think we 'need'. We are spoilt.
Suddenly I want to give everything away, clear, de-clutter and get back to the simple life. 
Where it's not about the stuff we have, but the people who matter.
It's about instilling something into our kids that life is more than about what you can get, but what you can give and who you can reach out to.





These images are by my beautiful friend and talented photographer, when she went to Cambodia last year. You can look at her other work here on her facebook page.

I often see the devastation going on. Our Queensland floods, quakes in New Zealand, and now Japan (and that is only this year!). But I don't really see. Something in me shuts down, puts walls up, and almost turns away. Because it's hard. Because if I really took it in, it would break me, and I would have to do something.

I really want to do something. But sometimes don't you think it just seems too big? Too hard?

I love the quote by Margaret Mead:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has"

There are so many of you who are doing your part. Donating, creating, sending, going, volunteering... you are amazing. And when we get together, thoughtful, committed, we can change someone's world.

Perspective!

xx


6 comments:

  1. It is true. You can see all the devastation on the tv, but we just look and go "oh, that is sad". If we try to imagine being there (which is near on impossible)it is just so scary. And we do shut off. Cos really what can I do? It is about perspective and I love yours! You are amazing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful Em..there is so much truth in your words!
    I was totally blown away by today's service and as you have mentioned here...crave to get back to the basics and live a simple yet satisfying life where I am connecting with people and giving/doing what I can.
    Having God in my life is certainly changing my perspective
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote. Love it. There is no doubt it IS big and it IS hard. To fight against devastation the scale which we have seen lately seems almost futile sometimes hey.

    But like you said all it takes is one or more committed individuals. Every little helps. That phrase has helped me get off my butt lately and realise that it doesn't matter how small the contribution, every little bit adds up to the whole. To making everything WHOLE again.

    Meg :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing post. You husband is doing a good thing being over there! I know its hard with him being away but just think about that. And that disaster in Japan really made me thankful for a lot of things. It's terrible what people are going through. :(

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth
    http://www.organizedxxmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it coming Em!
    Love Love Loving♥

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!