Thursday, March 31, 2011

in 5 minutes

How much time do you spend getting ready? 
I am a very low maintenance chick - my face is lucky if it gets a moisturise in the morning, let alone any form of make-up, especially on a week day. 
Church does get more priority and my eyelashes may get a lashing of mascara, and my cheeks a quick brush of colour but that is about as far as it goes. 

Despite my low maintenance, I'd still spend a considerable amount of time on my outward appearance before I go anywhere. It didn't stop just at home. I would sometimes watch myself in the rearview mirror when I drive. Just to make sure the lipbalm was still shiny, the hair still in place... And then other reflections. Yep, I sneak a look in those too. Just to check. 
Check it still looks good, is sitting properly, isn't crinkled. 
Hair? Check. Teeth? Check? Outfit? Check!
Come on girls... who's with me?! We like to look good. 


When we look good, we feel good. Confident.

BUT.
Something I had drop into my heart one day, while doing a 'check' as I walked past a mirror in my home.
What if I spent the same amount of time on the inward appearance, as I do on the outer?
What if I spent that time checking on the appearance of my heart? Preparing myself inwardly, making sure my heart looked okay. 
Forgiveness? Check. Unconditional love? Check. Humility? Check.
Is that pride? Oh quick, where's that scripture I read about only being able to boast in Christ? Aaah, here. "But 'he who glories, let him glory in the Lord'" (2 Cor 10:17) I have nothing in me to boast about, but Him. Aside from Him I am nothing. Remember that, O heart of mine, when you decide to get prideful! 

So I have been endeavoring to do so.
Thinking about where I'm going, what I'm going to do. Asking God to show me areas of my heart that I might need to check, and change. Praying for the people who I'll come into contact with, and asking for the right words to speak. 
Checking my heart, check, check, check.


Because a healthy heart is worth more to Him than a pretty face.

"Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the fear of God" Proverbs 31:30 (Message)

 (PS I got permission from my beautiful friend to use this picture with her in it... and she has a pretty face AND a beautiful heart!)

xx

7 comments:

  1. Such a good point to ponder on and put into work BUT that photo is SOOOOO embarrassing and I just can't stop laughing ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this reminder!! I was struggling with this myself yesterday!! meeting new people for the first time and I had lanky hair that wouldn't co operate and woken up to spots which made me feel awful ALL day!! ridiculous really.
    love the pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love too!
    (And I secretly am wondering the story behind that photo lol...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good Em... Im thinking a good foundation on the inside will give you a nice glow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Years Eve Kat! New Years Eve! hehe
    and
    WE LOVE CHOCOLATE CAKE bahahaha

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!