Thursday, February 3, 2011

clean that dirt

It's been a while, only a little while since I've put fingers to keyboard, but longer than I would have liked.
Pen has gone to paper numerous times, but I've been busy with necessity: the school year has started and so have the lunches, the baking, the swimming lessons, the meetings, and all the hustle and bustle that follow.

I am trying to keep my ears open to hear, not just the normal sounds; two year old whinging, washing machine spinning, baby squealing... but the other sounds. The heart sounds.
And it is true, that if you draw near to Him, He speaks. He listens.
He drops in pearls of inspiration, words of peace, revelation.
Even (and usually!) when doing the most menial of tasks.

I wash the dishes, and He speaks to me about His House. I drive to school and He speaks to me about the place we live, and the people who live there.
I vacuum, internally complaining; "I don't know why I bother, I'm only going to see each and every speck of dirt in half an hour when my work seems undone" and He speaks.
Isn't it funny how we are more aware of the small specks of dirt when the carpet is all over clean? 
The day before the vacuum, those specks of dirt wouldn't have bothered me so much, they would have been hidden in the all over mess!
And isn't that the state of our hearts sometimes?
When it's all pretty dirty, a little bit wayward, we're less inclined to see the things that need to change, or be removed.
Yet, when I regularly seek Him, the cleanser of my heart, I see each speck as it goes to settle in those corners. I imagine myself in a cute 50's get-up, frilly apron, feather duster in hand, singing even, Cinderella style! There I am whipping out that duster when so much of a speck tries to float by. Because I'm regularly cleaning, consistently seeking Him to remove each blemish before it gets overwhelmingly messy. Taking captive thoughts that don't belong, shouty voices, wrong motives and selfish ambition...
And I'm reminded of this verse:
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me" Psalm 51:10
I love that God can come and speak, no matter where we are, or what we're doing, as long as we have heart to listen.
And, right now... I think my heart is probably cleaner than my floors!

xx

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh how I love this post my beautiful friend! So very true and so very timely.
    I think my floors may be cleaner than my heart at many times though!

    Xx

    Ps ~ I want a 50's apron!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!