Sunday, January 16, 2011

Which way is up?


When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse 

      everything I know of you

Psalm 42 (The Message)


Do you have days when your soul is in the dumps?
Mine has been a little dumpy this week.

I am overwhelmed by the floods in Queensland, and have been absolutely racking my brains with a practical things I can do to help. Like make blankets, or softies to send... but I think right now what they need is money. So I have given... and I am asking God to be their very present help.

Then there was a death in the family. A very close family friend. She was suffering, and had been for a long time.
Sometimes death brings relief.
But then brings the wondering and the big questions. The hard questions.
And all that internal examination.
The fresh realisation of how fickle this life really is... A youth pastor of mine once described life as the dash on our tombstone. The dash between our birth date and death date.
That is how small life is, how long we are here really, compared with eternity...

And then I think there are such things as growing pains. Figuratively speaking.
Things we need to grow through. Sometimes, that heart transplant isn't too pleasant.

And then sometimes things are just plain yuk.
Knowing I haven't used that tongue of mine for uplifting purposes. I may or may not have used some choice words in a not-so-friendly discussion with husband.
I may or may not have spent a lot of time giving said husband the silent treatment.
Why? Because I have been yukky and grumpy and dumpy.
I probably haven't been thinking the right things. Meditating on pure, lovely, right things. Isn't it amazing how life seems to follow thoughts?

Now to reign in those thoughts that wander off. Now to focus them on right.

So very thankful for a new week, (another!) fresh start!
    "Consider it wholly joyful, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations.
    Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience.
    But let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be [people] perfectly and fully developed [with no defects], lacking in nothing.
   If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him" - James 1:2-5 (AMP)

Goodbye dumpy Em. And good riddance!

xx

4 comments:

  1. Oh Em...I too have been feeling a bit that way this past week. I have felt at times like I am about to relapse with my pnd and then I'll feel fine. So many ups and downs...not good!! I honestly believe alot of mine is THOUGHT based....negativity creeps in and unless I stomp on it right away, it starts trying to dig it's roots in to take over. So far I have been strong enough to fight it and pray that this inner strength will stay.
    Hope a new week brings with it a fresh start.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love♥ You dumpy and all : ) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh its been a week for it i guess! I was like that all last week too, very greatful for a fresh one starting today.
    Hope your feeling less in the dumps though, sorry i didn't get to see you on the weekend, saw your whole family except you and bubba.
    Edee was gorgeous all weekend, couldn't get enough playtime with her! And Joel was showing me his skills on the DS. Your very blessed with your children, i love them!

    xx

    P.s Your parents gave Jake and i both of those gorgeous wardrobes! I am going to try my hand at some sanding and painting and whatnot, see what i can do. (will definatly need some help with ideas from you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, and very well written. Definitely have been having some of those moments, and completely know what you mean about not using your tongue for uplifting purposes! Hubby and I have decided to actively start uplifting each other with words of encouragement, rather than teling "funny/embarrassing" stories infront of friends. Its all done in a harmless manner, but is definitely not honouring them, or God by doing it.

    Perfect choice of bible verse too for this.

    x

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!