Friday, January 28, 2011

sweet delights

"Forget love - I'd rather fall in chocolate"


We had the pleasure of entertaining lovely friends last night. And because I wasn't cooking (take-out Indian, yum!) I decided to create a lovely dessert. I went to my trusty 'Nigella Express' and found this easy peasy recipe for Instant Chocolate Mousse.
And it wasn't too bad, if I do say so myself! I think next time I'll substitute some of the dark chocolate for milk. But that's just me!

This is the recipe:

150g mini marshmallows
50g soft butter
250g good dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids... I used Lindt) chopped into small pieces.
60ml hot water from a recently boiled kettle.
1 x 284ml tub double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan
2. Put the saucepan on the hob, over heat, though keep it fairly gentle, to melt the contents, stirring every now and again. Remove from the heat.
3. Meanwhile, whip the cream with the vanilla extract until thick, and then fold into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth, cohesive mixture.
4. Pour or scrape into 4 glasses or ramekins, about 175 ml each in capacity, or 6 smaller (125ml ones),  and chill until you want to eat. The sooner the better!



These friends are the kind that are easy. Easy to talk to. Fun. Funny.
The conversation flowed from movies, and favourite actors, to marriage, to human trafficking, to God, to materialism... one of those nights and conversations that made me feel bigger, as a human being.
That pointed out truths and things bigger than us. And it was sweetened with this chocolate mousse.
I recommend you try all of the above: Dine with people you don't always see, converse about issues you don't always talk about, and create a new dish! It's good for the soul.

I am looking forward to this year, and being the change.

xx



5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it- all of it Em! And I'll most certainly take you up on those recommendations too, Lovin 2011:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Em!

    SO jealous you have one of those awesome kitchen wizz machines! Lucky thing! :)

    Sounds like you had a lovely night...I too cherish those moments with good friends, good food and good conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love!! that mousse is oh so yummy, just my cup of tea :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm chocolate mousse - my favourite!! & What better way to share it than with good friends! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peach: You can test out your dish on me, and we can talk about something different :)
    Danica: I love, love, LOVE my kitchenaid mixer, it was my birthday present last year... and you summed it up completely - good friends, food and conversations!
    Tammi: glad you liked the taste tester ;)
    Kat: I will make you some!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!