Tuesday, January 25, 2011

just whelmed...

"I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?"
"I think you can in Europe"

First prize to the one who can tell me where that quote is from! One of my all-time favourites.
It came to mind today.
A day (week/month/year!) I look around me and see the destruction of a 4 year old and 2 year old. And it all happens as I look after the 6 month old!
And it doesn't stop.
I feel like I spend the day chasing my own tail.

I clean up in the kitchen, walk to the loungeroom and there is mess.
There is mess in the bedroom.
There is mess in MY bedroom (does husband count as one of the kids?!).
There is laundry to be washed, hung out, and folded (only I haven't got to the folding part yet, so the couch is decorated nicely with clean, now crinkled clothing... oh and the kids find it fun to roll in it, and build cubby houses underneath), the floor was vacuumed yesterday, but look, there are crumbs and sand and "ew what is that?!" on it all over it again. So now it needs a vacuum and mop.
Then there is the ever mounting pile in the inconspicuous corner of the bench. Junk mail, and bills, and an invite to something we attended 4 months ago, and various receipts and old shopping lists and keys and lip gloss, and little bits of lego that haven't made it back into the box yet.
And there is something sticky on the chairs.
And the white kitchen cupboards are a bit grubby, especially where the kids' bowls and cups are.
Not to mention the cobwebs down beside the oven, and the puffed wheat that fell through the grills in the stove 3 months ago that I haven't got to yet.

Do you ever feel like you are just treading water?!
Overwhelmed at how much there is to do, and the fact that it. doesn't. stop. ever.
Underwhelmed at how much I have actually done today, even though I haven't stopped to breathe (or have that cup of tea I've been hanging out for!).
All up? Just whelmed.
So whelmed I don't know whether to laugh at the craziness of it all (and some days I can, and do!) or cry in sheer frustration!

And then begins the comparisons: How does she keep her house perfect /find time to sew/work outside the home/work inside the home/juggle ministry commitments/stay so successful/spend one-on-one time with her kids/keep her head above water?!


I know that this is a season. It's a stretching one, a growing one, one that I know I will miss one day when my house stays clean for more than 10 minutes after I get out of bed.

I need to remind myself that A Perfectly Kept House Is a Sign of a Misspent Life.

And tonight, this was my solace:



“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”


Matthew 11:28-30

And that is what I did.

xx







7 comments:

  1. Love you Em! I think I possibly sunk today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - my floaties need blowing up too!!

    Great reminder Em, gotta go find my solace...

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH OOOH! It's 10 Things I Hate About You! I have fond memories of going to Jess Cargill's house and watching this with you and a bunch of girls!!!! :) LOVE IT!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many days Miss Em where I feel like I am drowning, this post is a beautiful reminder that none of it really matters...I have been living in sheer chaos all week but what counts is the time spent with my children, never mind the mess!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 things I Hate about you. took me about 2 seconds to figure it out LOL. i wanna go rent that movie out now, i cant believe i dont own it.


    Exactly what i was feeling this week. Feels like it never ends. and a hot cuppa would go down so nicely. Thanks for the scripture i needed reminding. Love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...I just found you from Blessed Little Nest and I can well relate to you...I would love to offer encouragement, but I think you did with the verse you shared. I often forget to ask God for help, you know??
    Hope you have a beautiful day!!
    Oh, that laundry pile...I've had the same one for weeks...
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tam! Yes! How funny. Was my favourite movie for such a long time.
    Chelsea - thank you!! I'm sure I used to own it, but do you think I can find it?! Definitely worth a watch, I'm sure we all know the movie by heart anyway :)
    Elise... hi! :) xx
    Tammi - I think, on the scales of importance, spending time with our kids is much heavier! And lasts a lifetime (where the house stays clean 2 minutes!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!