Tuesday, January 4, 2011

[perfect sweetness]

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

While I don't agree with (or even understand) all of Emerson's philosophies on life... I do so love his writing. And thinking.
And today, this quote made me think.
It resonates with me.

I would like to think that I "keep with perfect sweetness" that independence.
Not that I am alone all the time. I do not mind being alone, because I know I'm not ever alone.
But I don't think he is talking about the isolation from people kind of solitude.
I think it's solitude of spirit.
The kind of solitude in our spirit that doesn't need to share everything with just anyone, the way we do when we need to get someone onside, or justify, or elevate ourselves.
It's an independence, a confidence. Freedom from others' opinions of self. It really has nothing to do with 'self' as such, I guess. But of knowing who you are, where you're going. In Him.
I'm not saying I'm there yet.

And I'm not saying that any of this even makes sense!

Just a girl with a journal.

xx



4 comments:

  1. Refreshing. And true. And I think I'm nearly there too!
    Absolutely loving this year thus far. Throwing off insecurities one at a time. Sometimes two at a time.

    xxx Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thought provoking post. Staying true to ourselves and being present in the moment wherever we are, whoever we are with.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what can I say - perfect sweetness right there! Love you girl with a journal,
    From girl with a camera:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Miss T, keeping that 'true-ness' (as per our fave Dr Seuss quote!) is definitely something we need to keep reminding ourselves of. We all bring such great stuff to the table of life!
    Miss Peach - I can not wait to read YOUR blog! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!