Sunday, January 23, 2011

the first miracle

I had the amazing honour and privilege to attend a wedding on the weekend.

I could write pages and pages about the beauty, and perfection of the special day. The stunning backdrop: a private beach in our South West, turquoise ocean and sun-bleached sand was like a postcard from a tropical paradise! The finishing touches: white parasols for guests standing in the warm sun, white deck chairs to mark out an aisle through the sand. Not to mention the gorgeous bride, and handsome groom - they looked like they'd just stepped out of the latest bridal magazine.
The reception was just as outwardly beautiful: held in a giant marquee, tables centred with lanterns and candles and crystals, each setting perfectly placed and awaiting a special guest to share food, and wine.
But none of this is what excites my spirit, and makes my eyes well with tears, even now!

It wouldn't have mattered if none of the outward perfection were there. It wouldn't have mattered if the weather was not so amazing, nor the bridesmaids and groomsmen were not dressed so exquisitely, or the music chosen to craft the ambience so carefully.
What struck me was the very real presence of Jesus.
Not a word would have needed to be spoken about Him (although there were many who offered Him the glory) and He still would have been felt. This very real, very tangible Presence was there, rejoicing along with us. God approves. He more than approves. He loves! He himself instituted the occasion of marriage, and he celebrates with us! Jesus performed his first miracle at a wedding. How appropriate that He attend! And at this particular wedding He most certainly was invited. In fact, He was given a seat at the head of the table, and honoured there.


(This is us, on our wedding day - 17 September 2005)

It reminded me of our own wedding, more than 5 years ago, when my new husband stood up, in front of his mates, and family who didn't know God, and said: "You's blokes know I'm far from perfect, but I'm here to give God the glory for where I am right now"
Jesus was at our wedding too! Even though we'd made mistakes along our journey, Jesus was there, delighting with us, loving the fact that we were honouring the covenant that is marriage, setting ourselves on the right course.

Weddings always bring me back to that too; reminding me of our vows to each other. Taking me back to our promises to always love, care for, uplift each other. Reawakening myself to that place, before I let babies, and business, and life get in the way of our genuine, simple love for each other... a wedding always feels like a refreshing and recommitment in our own marriage. This wedding especially.

It was simply God-breathed, and an absolute privilege to be allowed to share in such occasion!

xx

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a gorgeous day all round. I adore weddings, they always evoke such happy memories.

    Em have passed an award that I received on to you
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!